Research involved: Field measurements on the Khumbu Glacier of air temperature, debris surface temperature, debris temperature profiles, debris thickness, surface roughness and albedo, and proglacial stream discharge. Field data will be used with 2-D dynamic models and remote-sensing observations to quantify glacier sensitivity to climatic change and monsoon variability.
- People: Ann Rowan, Duncan Quincey, Morgan Gibson (PhD student), Neil Glasser, Tris Irvine-Fynn
- Institute: University of Sheffield, UK; University of Leeds, UK; Aberystwyth University, UK;
- Funding: Climate Change Consortium of Wales (C3W); The Royal Society
- Project website: Debris-covered glaciers at Aberystwyth University
- People website: Ann Rowan (Sheffield); Duncan Quincey (Leeds); Morgan Gibson (Aberystwyth); Neil Glasser (Aberystwyth); Tris Irvine-Fynn (Aberystwyth)
Quincey, D.J., Luckman, A. & Benn, D., 2009. Quantification of Everest region glacier velocities between 1992 and 2002, using satellite radar interferometry and feature tracking. Journal of Glaciology, 55(192), pp.596–606.